1. There are about 5000 different kinds of ladybirds in world.
2. All ladybirds are not red. There are black ones with red spots, yellow ones with black spots and maroon ones with cream spots.
3. It is thought that ladybugs probably do taste bad to predators, and that they may even produce a foul-smelling odor from a fluid from joints in their legs.
4. In many countries, ladybugs are considered to be good luck.
5. They are named after the Virgin Mary. ‘Our Lady’, who wore a red cloak in old paintings. The 7 spots are supposed to remind us of the 7 joys and the 7 sorrows.