1.)The Top civilian honor of the United States of America:
- Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Recently awarded to Tom Hanks and Robert De Niro.
.2.)Know the facts about Lokpal here: Lokpal.
3.)Carnatic Maestro Mangalampalli Balamurakrishna passes away.
4.)Comptroller and Auditor General of India:
- Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
- Constitutional Authority.
- Article 148 to Article 151.
- Appointed by the President(this actually means on advice of the Council of Ministers headed by the Prime Minister) with warrant under his hand and seal.
- Term: 6 years period / 65 years of age whichever is earlier.
- Removal: By President on grounds of “proved misbehaviour” or “incapacity”.
- He audits:
- expenditure of Consolidated Fund of India, states/UTs.
- expenditure of Contingency Fund of India, states/UTs.
- all trading, manufacturing, profit and loss accounts kept by any department of Central and State governments.
- receipts and expenditure of centre and state.
- government companies.
- authorities related to central and state governments.
- He audits:
5.) Heart of Asia Conference:
- Objective: Bringing peace and stability in the region of Afghanistan.
- Began in : New Delhi.
- Total conferences: 6
- 7th conference to be held in Amritsar, Punjab.
- Part of the Istanbul Process.
- A number of countries meet to deliberate on host of issues like extremism, terrorism among others.
- Supporting countries:
- 14 in number:
- Russia, China, India, Pakistan , Afghanistan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Tazikistan, Kyrgystan, Turkmenistan, Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan, UAE, Turkey.
- Supporting countries: Australia, Canada, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Iraq, Japan, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, UK and US.
- Supporting organisations: UNO, NATO, SAARC, SCO, OIC
- Aims to rebuild Afghanistan through investment and connectivity.
- Investments in Energy, Infra etc.