Who declares these elements?
International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry(IUPAC)
How are names of the elements decided?:
They are decided generally on the basis of the following:
- A mythological concept or character.
- A mineral or similar substance.
- A place or geographical region.
- A property of the element.
- A scientist.
What are the names of the new elements so added?
- Nihonium(Nh): 113
- Moscovium(Mc): 115
- Oganesson(Og): 118
How did these new elements got this name?
- Derived from the word “Nippon” meaning Japan in Japanese.
- From the Russian capital “Moscow”.
- On the state of Tennessee.
- It is a state which is known for its pioneering research in the field of chemistry.
- On the name of Physicist Yuri Oganessian.
What is so special about Nihonium?:
Nihonium is the first element to be discovered in an Asian country.